Sustainability Policy Manager, Ágnes Szuda, speaks at Public Policy Exchange webinar on food waste
Yesterday, Ágnes Szuda, Policy Manager in the Sustainability team, spoke at a Public Policy Exchange webinar on Tackling Food Waste.
Why should we eliminate food waste?
- One third of the food produced for human consumption is wasted or lost every year, accounting for 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions– if this was a country, it would be the third-largest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world.
- This costs $940 billion every year.
- And yet, worldwide, 1 in 9 people are undernourished.
- In the UK specifically, over a quarter of the food grown is not eaten, accounting for 6-7% of UK greenhouse gas emissions.
What can be done?
As the government prepares its Food White Paper it is essential to consider food loss and waste. Policy steps:
- Mandatory business reporting on food waste (see Waste and Resources Strategy 2018).
- Mandatory separate collection of food waste.
- Banning biodegradable waste from landfill.